Saturday, October 23, 2010

Spice up your Breakfast, Baby.

This is just something I make.  Is it gorgeous?  No.  Fancy?  No.  It is easy, quick, scrumptious and satisfying.  A good way to start out this gorgeous day.  I like to call it a breakfast chalupa.
A great friend of mine is getting married today, and I am so excited for her and her husband-to-be.  If I plan on dancing my socks off tonight, I better eat hearty this morning.

I made my breakfast chalupa pretty substantial today since I slept in on this Saturday morning, but it would work just as well if not better with a smaller tortilla and just one egg instead of two.  We'll call that a weekday breakfast chalupa.



In a medium or large saute pan, melt a teaspoon or so of butter on medium heat before cracking two large eggs into the pan.  Cook the eggs until the whites turn opaque, then top the eggs with shredded cheese while they are still in the pan.  I used Seriously Sharp White Cheddar by Cabot.  Toss a tortilla on top of this mess and press gently.  Let it sit and cook this way until the whole thing adheres together, about one minute.
Here comes the tricky part.  With the biggest spatula you have, scoot the spatula under this conglomeration, trying the best you can to get it under any cheese or stray egg pieces that may be hiding under your tortilla.

Get ready...

FLIP!  It doesn't matter if it's ugly.  Now top your creation with a bit more cheese if you like, and a generous portion of salsa.  I like a spicier salsa with my eggs.  Sometimes I like just straight up hot sauce, especially if I am making a weekday version of this.  Salsa verde is a great choice with this, as would be a roasted tomato salsa.  But for our purposes this morning, ChiChi's medium salsa is what I had in the fridge.  This is Saturday morning, folks.  We're not fancy.  Let this cook awhile until the cheese between the eggs and tortilla gets all melty.  I don't like to cook mine terribly long because I like the yolks to still be a little runny.  Saucy!

Now you're ready to fold it like an omelet.  If you're lucky, little pieces of cheese or egg or salsa have escaped and smeared themselves onto the outside of your tortilla.  This makes for browned crusty goodness.  This is a good thing.

Let it brown a little (maybe half a minute) before flipping to the other side and doing the same.  Slide that baby out of the pan onto a plate.  If you have some sour cream or greek yogurt, now would be a good time to get that out and add a dollop to the top of this mess with some fresh cilantro.  I don't have either, so I ate mine straight up with black coffee.




Let's get this day started!
Get me my dancing shoes.









Pin It

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are my heroine, Ms. Culinary Delite! Great food with easy instructions. What more could I ask for? Thanks for sharing.

Jacquelyn said...

This sounds so easy, I think I could make it before I have my coffee :) Perfect! Thanks for sharing, and thanks from the farm families who own Cabot for your support!
~Jacquelyn

schlombie said...

I would like to put in a request for pumpkin cream cheese whoopie pies. Or a roast Pork dish that requires mulling spices. Or a seasonal salad that no one has seen before...Maybe a soup. It's the time of the season for loving!

Ashley Godwin said...

Mel! You're right, I must have stolen your plate at some point in our lifetime. I could have sworn it was from my Grandmother's array of plates I was handed down. Do you want me to send it to you? Or, I can bring it at Thanksgiving... the chalupa looks so yummy! So glad Redhead in the Kitchen is reinstated! Love you:)

Unknown said...

Jaquelyn- Thanks for the comment! And thanks for seriously sharp cabot. I am a fan, but my boyfriend eats it twice a day, every single day of his life!

Ashley- Haha, no I don't want you to send me my hand-me-down 70s plate! Consider it a cousinly gift of love. Thanks for reading my blog & love you too!

Schlombie- I'm thinking of pork...