Friday, November 11, 2011

The Best Enchiladas I've Ever Made

This recipe was thrown together using pantry staples in the midst of a cleaning frenzy, not knowing what kind of crazy outcome there might be.  I was so pleased with the outcome, I decided it's the best thing I've cooked in a long, long time.  The only thing I would change would be using whole wheat pastry flour for the cheeze sauce instead of white (which was the only flour I had in my pantry save for spelt), and subbing homemade enchilada sauce for the jarred version I used out of blissful convenience.  My only kid is a fur kid, but I imagine real life kids without fur would love this meal.  Or even real life kids with fur.

Ingredients
1 can organic red lentils
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup jarred or homemade salsa verde
1 to 1 and 1/2 cups jarred or homemade enchilada sauce*
8 corn tortillas
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups water
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/4 cup Earth Balance (non hydrogenated vegan margerine)
1/4 Daiya vegan cheddar shreds (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Make cheeze sauce: in a medium sauce pan, stir together flour, nutritional yeast, salt and garlic powder.  Whisk in two cups of water and stir frequently over medium heat until bubbly and thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in margarine and mustard.

Run frozen corn kernels under some warm water to defrost.  In large bowl, mix together drained and rinsed lentils, corn kernels, salsa verde, and 1/3 cup of the cheeze sauce.

Pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of a large baking dish.  Heat tortillas in a cast iron skillet or in microwave so they become more flexible.  Fill each tortilla with approximately 1/3 cup of filling before rolling the tortilla around the filling and placing it seam side down into the baking dish.  Continue filling and rolling tortillas until filling is used up or you have run out of room.  It's okay if some tortillas unfold or break since it will bake together anyway.

Top with remainder of enchilada sauce, making sure to cover all the dry parts of exposed tortillas with the sauce.  Finally, top the whole shebang with a generous amount of cheeze sauce, or to taste.  Store the rest of the sauce in your fridge to use later in the week as a pizza or nacho topping. Top enchiladas with vegan "cheese" shreds if desired.  They really aren't necessary to be honest, but it does add some visual appeal, especially if you are feeding this to someone who is wary of your cheese-less cheese sauce.  And they deserve to be wary- let's be frank here.  Wary until they taste it.  Bake 30 minutes and strap on the ol' feed bag, as my dad likes to say.

While my goody was in the oven, I put on some Black Eyed Peas for laundry folding music.  CAN'T... HOLD... BACK.... Rock that body! Come on, come on, Rock that body! Laundry will have to wait.  Fergie calls, and it's time for some trampoline dancing.  If you have a trampoline, you should make this part of the recipe.  You would have thought I had put pure, raw crystal meth into Sampson's dog food with the way he responded to this.  I assure you I did not, but I wish you could have been there.  Arms flailing about, hips shaking and singing poorly, I jumped on my little rebounder in the living room while Sam darted at the speed of light from one end of the house to the other tagging walls, and stopping only to jump on the trampoline with me and run in frantic circles whilst barking and making me double over with laughter.  Sam!  Rock that body!

Pin It

No comments: