Sunday, December 4, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes

Want to know how many times a month I crave pancakes?
I don't want to talk about it.  It's a lot.
Instead of shoveling out 8 bucks at a restaurant for some of the cheapest comfort food out there, I cooked some up this weekend.  Because I'm cheap, and because I know I can control the quality of ingredients that go into these hot cakes.   Griddle cakes.  Ew.  Does "hot cakes" make you cringe a little?  It should.  They're pancakes.
And in this case, they're blueberry, whole wheat, and vegan.  Oh, and delicious.

Blueberry Pancakes
Adapted from Peas and Thank You's recipe for Apple Cinnamon Pancakes

1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup Sugar in the Raw
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups almond milk (unsweetened plain or vanilla)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
Earth Balance vegan margarine and Grade B Maple syrup for serving

Combine all dry ingredients.  Stir in almond milk, just until combined.  Over mixing your batter will make tough pancakes, so try to avoid that.  Fold in blueberries so they are evenly distributed in your batter.  I used a large mixing spoon to slop batter into my cast iron skillet heated on medium, but you could use a 1/3 or 1/4 cup measure depending on how big you like your pancakes.

I like a good buttery crust on my pancakes, so just before I drop some batter into the pan, I will add about a teaspoon of Earth Balance to fry it up in.  You don't have to do this, but you totally should.  Cook the pancake on the first side until you see little bubbles forming and popping on the surface and the edges turning golden brown.  Flip it.  Cook a couple more minutes until the other side is golden.         

 You're going to cook all of these one at a time unless you have a totally awesome large griddle or electric skillet, so it can take a little while.  To keep those cooked pancakes hot while you cook the rest of the batter, keep them on a plate in the oven with your oven set on its lowest or "warm" setting.  Here's a peek at my state of the art and impeccably clean oven.  Don't judge.
After they're all golden, cooked and gorgeous, serve them up with some warmed blueberries or some maple syrup.  Grade B is has less of a glycemic impact than Grade A, in case you care about that sort of thing.  I also happen to think it tastes more maple-icious.

A little magazine reading on the couch, a ponytail to hide my unshoweredness, and a couple cups of coffee later, I'm ready to go pick out this year's Christmas tree.  Feeling fa-la-la.

Pin It

2 comments:

oceanmandy said...

I might have to start stalking your posts! That looks awesome :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Mandy! Stalk away! ;)